Covid-19 vaccine updates: US vaccinates only 2.7 mn people, Algeria approves Russia vaccine
Meanwhile, China has given conditional approval for general public use to a Covid-19 vaccine developed by China National Biotec Group (CNBG). The approval is that the first for general public use among a couple of Chinese coronavirus vaccine candidates in various stages of development. Colombia and Bolivia have reached deals with Johnson & Johnson and Russia respectively for a vaccine.
1. within the us (US), Kansas governor Laura Kelly has received the primary of two vaccine shots. Kelly designated herself and 10 other state officials as eligible to commence vaccination in the week . The governor added that many other, non-elected state officials are made eligible for early vaccines by their agencies. “We’re putting them in line in order that we will make sure that the government can still function,” Kelly said. Till now, only about 2.7 million Americans are vaccinated as of Wednesday evening in ny , consistent with Bloomberg.
2. Syringe and needle makers in Brazil warned that the country’s Covid-19 vaccination program was in danger after the Jair Bolsonaro-led government set very low auction prices and further did not draw bids for enough syringes to satisfy requirements. The health ministry on Tuesday had sought to get 331 million syringes at an electronic auction but ended up purchasing only eight million, or 2.5 per cent of the target. Brazil which is additionally the third worst-hit country from the pandemic has not yet approved a vaccine and is already lagging behind neighbours-Argentina and Chile in rolling out doses.
3. On Wednesday, Britain became the primary country to approve a low-cost vaccine which is partially developed by the Oxford University and AstraZeneca. Unlike those developed by Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech, the Oxford-AstraZeneca based vaccine doesn’t to be stored at very low temperatures. It are often stored, transported and handled in normal refrigerated conditions which makes it cheaper to administer. Upon the approval, Prime Minister Boris Johnson congratulated the manufacturers and said the govt would now move to vaccinate as many of us as possible.
4. Amid the news of england approving the utilization of Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Delhi Director Dr Randeep Guleria told press agency ANI that India would have a Covid-19 vaccine within days. “This is extremely excellent news that AstraZeneca got approval for its vaccine by UK regulatory authorities. they need robust data and in India and therefore the same vaccine is being developed by the Serum Institute of India,” he said.
5. Algeria is about to roll out the Russian-based Sputnik V vaccine in January. The country’s communications minister Ammar Belhimer said that the govt had signed a mutual agreement with a Russian laboratory for acquiring vaccine shots from January. Meanwhile, finance ministry director general Abdelaziz Fayed told local broadcaster Echorouk that authorities will receive an initial shipment of 500,000 vaccine doses. As per the health ministry, Algeria has logged nearly 100,000 coronavirus cases and over 2,700 related deaths.